Wednesday, September 12, 2012

That Gut-wrenching Feeling...

Well, here it is 3:23 AM and I feel like that nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach has finally eased just a little bit.

Back in May of 2011, I finally typed up my first draft of a picture book named Sam the Bedlamite. It felt good to finally get it out on paper, and I have done 6 different drafts of my little 750 word story. The last revision I finished back in November.

The next step seemed like the largest, most daunting part of all: the dreaded query letter! I read somewhere that perhaps one of the reasons that agents/publishers require them is because it deters so many would-be writers from submitting, thus decreasing their slush pile. After having struggled for the last 10 months with how to even begin to write one, I completely agree with this statement.

My little query letter isn't very long, but the weight that it potentially carries is huge! I know I'll have to go back in a revise it a few times, at a more reasonable hour, but the worst part is over! I can start to move on in the submitting process. Hooray for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment