Saturday, July 28, 2018

BookTube-A-Thon 2018 TBR

It's that time of year again! Booktube-A-Thon--the week-long read-a-thon! I stumbled across this last year and had a blast. I didn't even know what BookTube was (it's a whole slew of YouTubers that talk books on their channels, and it's marvelous.) 


There are daily video challenges that you can do (like spell out your current read using other books) as well as Instagram challenges. I am still debating on whether I am going to put in the time and energy to make any videos--I did last year, but it takes so much time to film and edit! 

My 8yo daughter and her friends really want me to make them because "they've never lived next to a YouTube star" before. Yes, one of them really said this to me. For the record, my top viewed video from last year has 24 views--I'm pretty sure 22 of those were my daughter and her friends sitting around and giggling at me.

So the read-a-thon goes from midnight on July 30th and goes through August 5th. There are seven reading challenges that are totally optional, but a lot of fun. my 7 books that I have chosen total up to just over 1700 words for the week! It's a tall order, but I can't wait to dive in. Just for fun, I have decided to have a horror theme for all my selections.

So, without further ado, here are my book choices.

Challenge 1: Let a coin toss determine your first read


written by Bonny Becker
illustrated by Mark Fearing
Candlewick, 2018

I am SO excited for this one. I will definitely be cracking it open at the stroke of midnight.

Challenge 2: Read a book about something you want to do


edited by David E. Cowen
Horror Writers Association, 2017

I really enjoy writing poetry, especially for kids. While this isn't a book of children's poetry, I am excited to see and learn how to incorporate more spookiness into my own work. 

Challenge 3: Read and watch a book to movie adaptation*


by Jonathan Rosen
Sky Pony Press, 2017

*I am interpreting this challenge a bit broadly, as there isn't a movie adaptation (yet!) BUT the title is FANTASTIC and I'll be going off of that for the challenge. I know the book nods to all sorts of excellent films, so I'll be picking one after I read it.

Challenge 4: Read a book with green on the cover


written by Marc Tyler Nobleman
illustrated by Ana Aranda
Nancy Paulsen Books, 2017

I am fascinated by horror in young children's literature. I think it is an art form to get just the right  spookiness to humor ratio for kids. This one looks way fun.

Challenge 5: Read a book while wearing the same hat the whole time


by Emil Ferris
Fantagraphics Books, 2017

This graphic novel was nominated for a Bram Stoker Award last year and I am so excited to read it (in my roller derby trucker hat).

Challenge 6: Read a book with a beautiful spine


by Alma Katsu
read by Kirsten Potter
Penguin Audio, 2018

So I don't have an image of the spine of this one because I am listening to the audiobook. But I did look it up and it really is a pretty spine.

Challenge 7: Read seven books


edited by Jonathan Maberry
Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2016

I have been on a short story kick lately and I have high expectations for this one.

So there you have it! I'm hoping to have a wrap up post when I come up for air after the read-a-thon. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment