Monday, January 30, 2017

January Writing Update

As a way to be more accountable with my writing, I will give a quick little update here on the blog at the end of each month. This past month has been a success, I believe. I was able to attend an SCBWI writing conference in Miami, which was great.

I took a picture book intensive at the conference from the marvelous Jane Yolen and her daughter Heidi Stemple. To be honest, I was a bit star struck. But once I was able to gather my wits, I was able to learn so much. If I had to pick the most pertinent point I learned, it would have to be how to deal with writer’s block. Many times I just sit in front of the computer, or don’t even sit down at all because I am just stuck.

Jane Yolen has a simple solution: have multiple projects going at once. That way, if you’re a bit stuck on one, you have something else to work on in the mean time. This is helpful for me, especially in these early stages of my writing career because it is so important to be writing—that’s how I will get better. So, with that in mind, here are my January accomplishments and February goals.

This month is is was I was able to accomplish:

  • Rewrite a picture book manuscript
  • Post on the blog every week
  • Organize and attend an online critique group
  • Read 4 books
  • Successfully run a Kickstarter Campaign


These are my goals for the month of February:

  • Post on the blog each week
  • Attend online critique group
  • Read 4 books
  • Submit something to Highlights magazine for publication
  • Edit picture book + write rough to a new one
  • Begin work on novel


No comments:

Post a Comment