Monday, November 13, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 11/13/17




The weekly post where I recap all the KidLit books I’ve been reading. Occasionally, I’ll also review some adult fiction books as well.


Be sure to check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to see what other kidlit readers are reading. Because, you know, we can never have too many books in our TBR pile.
                                         

Board Books



Baby Loves Quantum Physics!
written by Ruth Spire
illustrated b Irene Chan

I really enjoy these "Baby Loves" books. If you would have told me that there was a board book explaining Schrodinger's Cat for babies, I would have laughed. But lo and behold they have done it, and quite well! I like the illustrations and I also like that the books are accurate without being dense or complicated. 


Where Is My Coat? Farm Animals
by Anita Bijsterbosh 

A cute book that uses both color and silhouettes. You can read my full review here.


Picture Books

This Is Not My Hat
by Jon Klassen


I love when picture books use dramatic irony in their illustrations. It is fun to read what the little fish thinks is going on, and then see and infer what is actually happening. My daughter got a kick out of this book.


Hoot Owl: Master of Disguise
written by Sean Taylor  
illustrated by Jean Jullien

We laughed out loud while reading this book. I like the bold illustrations and the little owl is very comical. Definitely worth a read. 

Poetry



 Fireflies at Midnight
poems by Marilyn Singer
pictures by Ken Robbins


I enjoyed these summer-y poems and the photos that accompany each one. I talk a bit more about this book here.



Non-KidLit


 The Emerald Circus
by Jane Yolen
introduction by Holly Black

I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. If you like fairy tales, Jane Yolen does a fantastic job of re-imagining 10 great stories in this book. You can read my full review here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendations; my kids also loved This Is Not My Hat and Hoot Owl was also popular. And good luck on Nanowrimo!

    ReplyDelete