Monday, January 22, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? - 1/22/2018


The weekly post where I recap all the KidLit books I’ve been reading. Occasionally, I’ll also review some adult fiction books as well.


Be sure to check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to see what other kidlit readers are reading. Because, you know, we can never have too many books in our TBR pile.
                                         

Picture Books


The Twelve Days of Christmas in Florida
by Frank Remkiewicz

I recently attended a writing conference where Frank Remkiewicz was attending, so I wanted to read one of his books. This was a really fun read. Frank actually lives in the next town north from me, so many of the settings in the book were local. I liked the humorous "12 Days of Christmas" format (12 panthers purring, 11 grannies golfing...) but I also enjoyed the nonfiction parts as well. Each day has a letter from the main character's cousin where he describes some factual things about Florida. 


My Father Knows the Names of Things
written by Jane Yolen
illustrated by Stephane Jorisch

To celebrate Jane Yolen's 365th book being published, I have set a goal to read at least 24 of her books. I enjoyed My Father Knows the Names of Things. the illustrations are fun and whimsy and and the text is fun.

How Do Dinosaurs Say I'm Mad
written by Jane Yolen
Illustrated by Mark Teague

 My children love ever iteration of the How Do Dinosaurs books. Mark Teague does a fantastic job of drawing all the different dinosaurs. I imagine that my son will like these more and more as he gets older. Jane's rhythm is spot on, as always. 


You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer
written by Shana Corey
illustrated by Chesley McLaren

I had no idea that this was a nonfiction book when I picked it off the shelf. I liked the illustrations on the cover and grabbed it. I had no idea where Bloomers came from before reading this, but I do now. I enjoy reading books with my daughter about women who bucked current trends and struck out on their own. Good overall read.


4 comments:

  1. My Father Knows the Name of Things looks like another book that I have to add to father-and-child relationships portrayed in picturebooks! Thanks for sharing these titles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of Jane Yolen but had no idea she wrote that many books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of Jane Yolen as well. Fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to telling my Floridian mom about the 12 days book. And the real-life story behind bloomers -- sign me up! Sounds like a fun, true story.

    ReplyDelete