Friday, February 9, 2018

Poetry Friday - A Woman's Place


It’s Friday! And you know what that means: Poetry! Want to know more about Poetry Friday? Click this link right here. And be sure to check out the lovely Sally Murphy's blog to see this week’s round up of wonderful poetry related posts, blogs and goodness. 
________________________________________

Happy Poetry Friday, everyone! After the stomach bug and then stalwartly sleep training my toddler (I would not wish either on my worst enemy), I finally feel like I have my bearings again. Yay!

I am having an absolute blast participating in Laura Shovan's February Daily Poem Project. Some days, the poems come a bit easier than others, but I am loving the practice and it is slowly becoming a habit. 

Yesterday, I wrote a poem based on this beautiful wood block print by Heather Meloche's grandmother, Thelma Wilson Brain. Heather shared that Thelma had been accepted to the University of Michigan, for Art and Fashion Design, but her father didn't let her go.

Wood block art by Thelma Wilson Brain
  
Originally, I wrote an almost-nonet to go with the piece (the 1st half of the poem below). Then Donna Smith suggested that I expand it into an hourglass-type format. I think it turned into a stronger piece because of her suggestion. I like it enough that I think I may keep reworking it a bit. 

A Woman’s Place

A woman’s place is in the forest
Feeling soft grasses under foot
Conversing with the sky lark
Listening to the world
Tasting ripe berries
Smelling blue bells
Seeing wonder
Existing
Present
Still
Present
Persisting
Seeing progress
Smelling victory
Tasting aspirations
Listening to the voiceless
Conversing with the Dreamers
Feeling the triumphs and sorrows
A woman’s place is in the resistance
(c) Rebecca Herzog 2018

7 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better! That sounds like a real one-two punch.
    I like the turn your poem took. I'd seen the woman and bird, but didn't know the poignant backstory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling better and that you sleep-trained your toddler. Been there. Survived. Kids sleep well now. (Mostly.) I'm also enjoying the daily poetry. My motto this year is: keep it short. Get back to my other work. So far it's working. It could easily take up my whole day, though, I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the first one when I read it, but I love the addition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh--this is beautiful! I haven't checked out any of the responses yet because this is one I'm still behind on. I love this version and can't wait to go back and check out the original. I especially like how you took a suggestion and ran with it. Isn't that the beauty of working and sharing in a community!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a switch! From passive to active...you go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I love the form and the direction the combination of art and artist inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous poem! I love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete