Friday, February 2, 2018

Poetry Friday - Losing My Head


It’s Friday! And you know what that means: Poetry! Want to know more about Poetry Friday? Click this link right here. And be sure to check out the lovely Donna Smith's blog, Mainely Write, to see this week’s round up of wonderful poetry related posts, blogs and goodness. 
________________________________________

I am all discombobulated. Here it is, 10:30 at night and I have a panic. "Oh no! I only have an hour and a half until it's Saturday and it'll no longer be 'Poetry Friday'!" Commence scrambling to get my stuff together. After about 15 minutes of sitting at the computer, I realize that it is still Thursday. Duh.

The stomach bug arrived at our home this past week and it decided to take no prisoners. I think we're out of the thick of it, but, as outlined above, the days have run together and I'm still trying to figure out which way is up. But we managed to get out of the house for a bit today and actually see the sun.

I have been reading through Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein. Last month, I got to hear Lee Bennett Hopkins speak, and he mentioned Shel and some of his background. It intrigued me. I'd love to read a biography on Shel at some point, but for now, I am going through and rereading some of his poetry.   So I thought I'd share a few of his poems that were fitting for the past week.

(c) Shel Silverstein

Sick

“I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
“I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I’m going blind in my right eye.
(read the rest of the poem here)

(c) Shel Silverstein

The Loser

Mama said I'd lose my head
if it wasn't fastened on.
Today I guess it wasn't
'cause while playing with my cousin
it fell off and rolled away
and now it's gone.



8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love 'The Loser'. That is so very clever!! And not to mention funny... :D

    I hope you are ALL feeling much better soon. (And enjoy your Friday! :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I've found myself in a similar scramble, looking around frantically for ANYTHING poetry related! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh about your hurry, scurry then Thursday! Glad you're all better, too! Thanks for some favorites from Shel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everyone is feeling much better by now! As always, Shel's poems brought a smile and a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I will ever get "sick" of Silverstein. I hope you're all feeling better!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shel Silverstein's poetry is a delight and you've shared two of my favorite poems. His sketches are such wonderful accompaniments to his work. Sorry you've been battling the stomach bug. I hope you've all recovered by now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to see a bio of him, too! His poetry is such a lark.

    ReplyDelete