Monday, August 7, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading - 8/7/17


The weekly post where I recap all the KidLit books I’ve been reading. Occasionally, I’ll also review some adult fiction books as well.

Be sure to check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to see what other kidlit readers are reading. Because, you know, we can never have too many books in our TBR pile.
______________________________

Board Books


The Itsy Bitsy Spider illustrated by Laura Zarrin

Cute, quick picture book. The illustrations are darling. My son got this one as a prize for the summer reading program at the library.


Picture Books


Tek: The Modern Cave Boy  by Patrick McDonnell

The whole book looks like an iPad--even the pages are set up like a tablet. Its is a clever idea. I did feel like it was a bit preachy--get away from screens! Go outside! Not that this is a bad message, but kids hear it so much, I wish it would have had more of a twist. My daughter seemed to like it though.


We're All Wonders by R.J. Palacio

I have not read the middle grade novel yet, but this picture book was ok. It was a bit simple and it opened a bit of dialog with my daughter.



Leave Me Alone by Vera Brosgol

As a mom who can't get a moment to herself sometimes, this was a great book! The grandma knows that winter is coming and needs to get some sweaters knitted. But the kids and grandkids don't let her get anything done. So she goes on a trek to find a place that is quiet enough to get her work done. This would be a great book to teach kids an important message. Sometimes there are important things that adults have to get done. It's not that they don't love the kids when they tell them they can't play right then and there. 

Lucia the Luchadora written by Cynthia Leonor Garza illustrated by  Alyssa Bermudez

My daughter and I both enjoyed this picture book. Great take on superheroes. The illustrations were really neat too. In general, I am not a fan of 1st person, so that was one downside to this book. But that is just personal preference.

Graphic Novels


Snow White: A Graphic Novel by Matt Phelan

This book was fantastic. It is the story of Snow White set in the 1920s and 1930s. The illustrations are rough and beautiful with a limited color pallete. I am a sucker for limited color palletes. I would definitely recommend this one for both the art and the fresh take on an old story.

4 comments:

  1. Leave Me Alone is definitely a book that many folks can relate to! I loved that book! I definitely need to find We're All Wonders, as I know it's going to be very popular with a lot of kids! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Leave Me Alone is great. After reading We're All Wonders, we watched the trailer and it got my daughter interested. She's not quite ready level wise for the novel, but she's excited.

      Delete
  2. I loved Leave me Alone. Snow White is on my list, but there are just so many books I want to read some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow White is worth the read and it's a quick one!

      Delete