Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Thank You and Good Night - Picture Book Review

I am giving away a signed copy of Rodzilla, written by Rob Sanders and illustrated by Dan Santat. Enter here!

Buy Here
 Thank You and Good Night
by Patrick McDonnell
(Little, Brown Books for Young Readers 2015)

At a Glance

Pros

  • Wonderful, sweet story
  • Beautiful watercolor illustrations
  • The ending just makes you smile
  • The prose, especially towards the end, is perfect. 

Cons

  • I can't think of a single one

You know that you've struck gold when you don't want to return a picture book to the library. I kept hold of this one until the last day, and it legitimately saddened me to drop it in the return chute. I now have it on order from Amazon. I do not buy very many books, but I cherish the ones that I do. For me, this is an instant classic.

Text and illustrations ©  Patrick McDonnell

The illustrations, done in pen and watercolor on handmade paper, are beautiful. I consistently enjoy McDonnell's style and this one doesn't disappoint. 

The story starts out cute enough and gets better as it goes along. Three little friends have a fun time during a sleepover. When it's time to lay down, they go over all the things they are thankful for during the day. The prose here is beautiful. The ending, which was a happy little twist, filled my heart with unexpected joy. I could read this one every night to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment