Monday, October 2, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? - 10/2/17




The weekly post where I recap all the KidLit books I’ve been reading. Occasionally, I’ll also review some adult fiction books as well.


Be sure to check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to see what other kidlit readers are reading. Because, you know, we can never have too many books in our TBR pile.
                                         

Here are my September writing goals recap + some Cybils-related exciting news!



Board Books

 Busy Penguins
 written by John Schindel 
photos by Jonathan Chester

This is a cute book and my son seemed to enjoy all the photos of the penguins. My 7yo especially liked that it has a picture of a pooping penguin.


Picture Books

 

Penguin Problems
written by Jory John
illustrated by Lane Smith

This is a delightful picture book. I love the textural quality of the illustrations. The little grumpy penguin is lots of fun. My daughter and I have read this multiple times since bringing it home from the library. I also like the cover with the repeating penguin image. For the life of me, I can't remember the name for this specific type of repeating image picture. If you know, let me know in the comments. I'm racking my brain.


Animals at Night
written by  Anne Jankéliowitch
illustrated by Delphine Chedru
Jabberwocky, October 3, 2017

I received an ARC of this book for review


It glows in the dark! It is also very text heavy. Each page has glowing elements with a whole range of nocturnal mammals, insects, reptiles and fish across all their varying habitats. Every animal and habitat featured has a chunk of text to go along with it. And there are mystery answers hidden throughout the glowing book to discover. Although I wouldn't sit and read this to my child in one sitting, it would be a great one for over multiple nights, or for her to enjoy with a flashlight at night. Great resource book as well.



 Some Pets
written by Angela DiTerlizzi 
illustrated by Brendan Wenzel

This is a super cute book. I am always amazed when a picture book can be so succinct and yet so perfect. This is a great one to show how the text and the illustrations work together. The text gives just what is needed and the illustrations do the rest. I love how cute and funny the pictures are too.



 My Mouth is a Volcano!
written by Julia Cook 
illustrated by Carrie Hartman 

If you have a child that interrupts all the time, this would be a great book to read together. I know it's nit-picky, but I find pictures books where the text is in block at the bottom of the page distracting. I like the text to appear within the illustration. My daughter did enjoy the book and didn't seemed bothered by it.



 Whobert Whover, Owl Detectivve
written by Jason Gallaher
illustrated by Jess Pauwels

I went into this book expecting it to just be alright. But it ended up being fantastic. The text is great and is funny! The illustrations are perfect as well. We will be rereading this one a bunch.



 Don't Splash the Sasquatch
 written by Kent Redeker
illustrated by Bob Staake

I picked this one up because of cover appeal and it ended up being really fun. I like all the animal/monster mashups throughout the book. The text repetition is great and would be perfect for younger kids to engage and participate. The illustration style has pizzazz and is quite fun. 


Middle Grade


Serafina and the Black Cloak
by Robert Beatty 

My more in depth review for this book will be posted on Wednesday, but I'll just say here that I loved this book. I will 100% for sure be picking up the next in the series. 

4 comments:

  1. Penguin Problems, Some Pets, & Whobert Whover are all cute books with great messages for young readers. I loved Serafina and the Black Cloak. Years ago, I visited Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. After reading this book, I want to go back! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to read Whobert this week when I have more time to think about the books. I am always amazed at all the wonderful picture books published every year. It gives me hope.

    And speaking of hope...
    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/10/childrens-picture-books-you-need-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That whole Serafina series is just fabulous. I wonder what Robert Beatty will come up with next.

    ReplyDelete