Monday, October 9, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? - 10/9/17




The weekly post where I recap all the KidLit books I’ve been reading. Occasionally, I’ll also review some adult fiction books as well.


Be sure to check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to see what other kidlit readers are reading. Because, you know, we can never have too many books in our TBR pile.
                                         

Picture Books


Be Quiet!
by Ryan T. Higgins

This was a really fun book. The idea is very clever ad makes for a comical story. I especially liked Higgin's pen and ink illustrations. Definitely worth reading.


 Cinderella and the Furry Slippers
 written by  Davide Cali
illustrated by Raphaelle Barbanegre

The illustrations in this book are fantastic and it is a fun take on your normal Cinderella story. You can read my full review here


Goldfish Ghost
written by Lemony Snicket
illustrated by Lisa Brown

We thought this book was cute. The illustrations are fun and it had a nice ending. The illustrations are nice, but we couldn't figure out why the fish was swimming upside down through the whole book Did we miss something?


Graphic Novels


Mighty Jack
by Ben Hatke

This book is fantastic. I love fresh takes on classic fairy tales and this knocks it out of the park. I don't normally bug my daughter to start a book if she isn't interested, but I insisted with this one. Within 2 pages, she was hooked. After reading it, she said we have to get the next one. So much fun.


4 comments:

  1. The next Mighty Jack is incredible! Just finished it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of the Mighty Jack books, so after your sharing & Carrie's comment, will put them on my list! Thanks for sharing the others, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Carrie. The next Mighty Jack just might be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss reading Ben Hatke's graphic novels. :)

    ReplyDelete