Monday, March 10, 2014

March Writing Goals


Confession--I have a super difficult time setting realistic goals. Its not that I have a hard time making goals. For example:

  • Write a 50,000 word novel every month for a whole year? Sounds great!
  • Wake up at 4:30AM to start writing (when I normally wake up at 8AM)? Sure! 
  • Don't go to bed until I've written X number of words (usually something like 3,000 when I haven't been writing at all)? Go for it! 

See? No problem whatsoever at setting goals. Its just the realistic ones that allude me.

Hence why one of my writing resolutions this year is to only set realistic writing goals! Thus far, it is going well. I do sometimes feel like the corgi in the above picture though. Am I really making any progress? But "you gotta start somewhere." Better to leap over a puddle and make the jump, than to keep trying to jump across a chasm and plummeting to the ground a la Wile E. Coyote.

So with that all in mind, here are my two writing goals for March.

  • Finish a very rough draft of the 26 limericks for Mobster Monsters
    • Basically, I want to just get something down on paper 
  • Complete the character sketches for my outlined Arches National Park MG novel
    • I have about 3 major characters to look at and a small handful of other characters

That wasn't so bad! I feel like the goals are still make me stretch, but I think they are attainable. I'll keep you posted.

Do you have any goals for March?

No comments:

Post a Comment