Friday, November 17, 2017

Poetry Friday - Monster Museum


It’s Friday! And you know what that means: Poetry! Want to know more about Poetry Friday? Click this link right here. And be sure to check out Jane at Raincity Librarian to see this week’s round up of wonderful poetry related posts, blogs and goodness. 
________________________________________


We are over halfway through November so that means that I must have hit the halfway mark of 25k on my NaNoWriMo book! Cue laughter and knee slapping. Yeah, I have fallen so far behind, that it's not even funny. BUT I will continue to write and get those words on the page. Now on to Poetry Friday!


Monster Museum
poems by Marilyn Singer
illustrations by Gris Grimly


I am a huge fan of of Gris Grimly's illustrations, and that is what drew me to this book. It is a complete coincidence that the poems were written by Marilyn Singer (I reviewed another one of her poetry books last week.) I guess I must really enjoy her poems!

I like all things monsters, so I knew I was going to enjoy this book, but I was surprised by what I learned. I liked the overarching story that ties all of the poems together; it follow a group of kids through a museum and the tour guide is the narrator in the poems. 

I often approach poetry where I just sit down and try to come up with an idea on the spot, and rarely is there any theme/continuity from poem to poem. Last month, I wrote a poem a day, using a set of prompt words that I came up with. My Inktober poems, along with Singer's Monster Museum, made me realize that I could approach my own poetry this way. I think it could help me have more focus, and less anxiety when writing. That's not to say that I always have to stick with a theme if the mood strikes, but I think it could help.

While all the poems in the book were fun, I think my favorite was about a dancing zombie because I wrote a poem about a cha-cha-ing zombie for Madness Poetry.


The Zombie

Have you seen a zombie samba?
Have you seen it bunny-hop?
Have you seen it do a polka
Or that old dance called "the slop"?

Have you seen a zombie hustle?
Would it tap-dance while you gawk?
Uh-uh, all a zombie ever does
is do the zombie walk!
© Marilyn Singer, 2001


4 comments:

  1. This looks like a fun collection of poems! I've considered trying to write poems along a theme, but haven't jumped in yet. Maybe this will be the inspiration I need. Christmas is coming, so there's an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun poem. Thanks for sharing it, and good like with best of NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun book and I like the lively poem you shared Rebecca! Good luck with writing this month wherever it takes you, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fun poem. I write poems from photographs, and I'm endlessly inspired through that synergy. I have a lot of other poetry, too, that isn't for my blog. Never sure what to do with it. I'd like to do a collection some day, but there seem to be so many good ones on so many topics. Hard to see where another is needed. But then, we all need new books. :-)

    ReplyDelete