Friday, June 22, 2018

Poetry Friday - Sloth Poetry Swap


It’s Friday! And you know what that means: Poetry! Want to know more about Poetry Friday? Click this link right here. And be sure to check out Michelle Kogan's blog to see this week’s round up of wonderful poetry related posts, blogs and goodness. 
________________________________________

Hello and happy Friday! I joined the Poetry Friday community last July and I had just missed the Summer Poetry Swap. So I have been looking forward to participating for nearly a year and I just sent off my 1st poem.

A word to the person who receives mine: I decided to do a concrete poem, and I hand wrote it. I apologize for my tiny chicken scratch! I do have a digital copy for you as well, so just let me know when you get it (I don't want to email early and ruin the fun) and I'll send it your way. I did write my email on the postcard, but I don't even trust my trying-to-be-neat handwriting. :)

I received my first poem of the swap this week and it was from none other than the amazing Tabatha Yeatts. She wrote me a sloth-themed poem and she even put cute sloth tape on the envelope. 



SLOTHS
by Tabatha Yeatts
for Rebecca
 
A sloth has fur so thick it lends
itself to sheltering small friends

Their shaggy selves might turn pea green
when algae is the friend who's seen

 then they match the leaves they eat
and their homey tree retreat.

 Since they create a habitat
for beetles, moths, and things like that,

 though people say they're solitary,
you might want to say "Not very!"


I loved her poem not only because it has to do with sloths, but she also included a little note about the community connection to our Poetry Friday community. She did say, though, that "that makes poetry the sloth and we're the bugs." That image makes me smile. Thank you, Tabatha.





11 comments:

  1. Sloths are adorable! What a sweet poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squee! Just last week at our town's tropical cafe, our pals Karen & Steve spun sloth stories, having recently returned from Monteverde hiking in Costa Rica. Must copy this out & share with them. Appreciations!

    Summer solstice breezes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this poem for how it addresses you and your obvious connection to the word/animal, sloth AND for the solid poem it is! Great facts about sloths in there. I love it and think my middle schoolers would too. What a fun swap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the sweetest thing! Great poem, Tabatha - and thanks for sharing, Rebecca. #justanotherbug

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a new baby sloth at our zoo, and I have seen two in the wild years ago in Costa Rica, a fascinating creature. What a lovely gift Tabatha has written for you, Rebecca! (It's fun to think of being one of the bugs!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you are part of the swap this summer. It's so much fun. The sloth poem is adorable. I think a sloth and its bugs is one of those symbiotic relationships we teach about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a darling poem--and I giggled at poetry being the sloth and all of us the bugs and such!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! And when compared in this way, I don't mind being referred to as a bug at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha--I'm so amused at the obvious unslothlike effort on both your parts, and I like the idea that we are all hanging out on one hospitable furry home creature!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this delightful fact-filled poem from Tabatha for you Rebecca–and so fitting with your animal interests, especially the sloth. I always knew bugs were important, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Becky et al! I loved doing slothy research and finding something fitting to write about. Glad you are swapping with us!

    ReplyDelete