Monday, October 23, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? - 10/23/17




The weekly post where I recap all the KidLit books I’ve been reading. Occasionally, I’ll also review some adult fiction books as well.

Be sure to check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to see what other kidlit readers are reading. Because, you know, we can never have too many books in our TBR pile.
                                         

Board Books

One Sheep, Blue Sheep
written by  Thom Wiley 
illustrated by Ben Mantle

This is one of those books that is enhanced and made better by being a board book, and I love that about it. The cut outs were so much fun and the story was great too. A very fun concept book.


Picture Books

  
My Dad is Big and Strong, BUT...A Bedtime Story
written by Coralie Saudo 
illustrated by Kris Di Giacomo

This is a book that I have been wanting to check out for awhile. I knew little about it, so I laughed out loud at the funny twist on a bedtime routine. I liked the illustrations and how sketchy they seemed. My daughter liked the role reversal in the story. 


Secrets I Know
written by Kallie George 
illustrated by Paola Zakimi

Lately I have been enjoying a lot of quiet, contemplative picture books, and this is one of them. The illustrations and the text work so well together. I especially enjoy how each thought in the book builds on the next. I also loved how the children in the book are connecting with nature in the own backyard. 


The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors
written by Drew Daywalt
illustrated by Adam Rex

There are so many things that I love about this book. First, it is hilarious. I mean really funny. I laughed at it. My daughter laughed at it. And my husband cracked up while reading it too. The illustrations are rich and the character design is fantastic. I especially like the part with the apricot tree. I also like that the text is beefy--and I mean that in a good way. Many picture books today have minimalist text, the bulkier text of this book serves the story perfectly. Never once did I find myself wishing that the story would hurry up.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads up about One Sheep, Blue Sheep. With two grandbabies in my life, I'm always interested in new and engaging board books.

    ReplyDelete