Monday, October 30, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? - 10/30/17




The weekly post where I recap all the KidLit books I’ve been reading. Occasionally, I’ll also review some adult fiction books as well.


Be sure to check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to see what other kidlit readers are reading. Because, you know, we can never have too many books in our TBR pile.
                                         

I am giving away a copy of Ben Hatke's Mighty Jack and the Goblin King! Be sure to enter here.


Board Books

I'm the Scariest Thing in the Castle
by Kevin Sherry

Fun board boo with bright pictures. I like the bright, bold illustrations. My daughter especially enjoys reading this to her younger brother.


Picture Books


Pssssst! It's Me...the Bogeyman
written by Barbara Park
illustrated by  Stephen Kroninger

I really enjoyed this picture book. I like the cut paper style illustrations, and they were even a bit creepy. I liked the overall story, but some of the language (namely, the different nicknames the bogeyman call the boy in the story) feel outdated. But it was still a very fun, spooky read.


Pumpkin Town!
 written by Katie McKy 
illustrated by Pablo Bernasconi

Overall, this was an enjoyable book. The illustrations are whimsical and bright. I felt like it took the story a bit to get going, but once it picked up, it was great. Good October book to read with a good message about fixing mistakes.


Triangle
written by Mac Barnett 
illustrated by Jon Klassen

This is the type of book that gets better with each reading. The characters and the story made me smile. The illustrations are fantastic. There is a lot of texture in the pictures, despite not having much color. Definitely worth a read.


Hocus Pocus, It's Fall!
written by Anne Sibley O'Brien
illustrated by Susan Gal

This is a perfect book for the season. We enjoyed the fold out spreads throughout the book. The illustrations have a lot of texture and the colors are vibrant. I liked how each page incorporated magic words, like Abracadabra and Hocus Pocus. A definite fun read.


Graphic Novels

Mighty Jack and the Goblin King
by Ben Hatke

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Together with the 1st in the series, it is a wonderful twist on an old fairy tale. You can read my full review here and enter to win a copy here.



3 comments:

  1. I love this Mighty Jack novel and can hardly wait for the next in the series! I've discovered, much to my dismay, that here in Canada, it is expensive to receive a book from a giveaway in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They are very good! I am not sure if it makes a difference, but I order the giveaway book from Amazon (with my Prime account) and have it shipped directly to the person.

      Delete
  2. Each book looks good, Rebecca, but especially those fall ones. The cover of Pumpkin Town is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete