Friday, February 16, 2018

Poetry Friday - Cherita


It’s Friday! And you know what that means: Poetry! Want to know more about Poetry Friday? Click this link right here. And be sure to check out Check It Out to see this week’s round up of wonderful poetry related posts, blogs and goodness. 
________________________________________

This past week Carol Varsalona posted the art piece below as prompt for the February Poetry Challenge. The 1st poem is what I came up with originally while thinking of sleep training my son. I changed the last line as I have been pondering the shooting here in Florida (a few hours away from me). I am generally not an angry person and it takes a lot for me to really get upset. But today, I have nothing constructive to say, so I'll just leave you with my meager poems. 

(c) Bessie Pease Gutman

After bringing you home

Snuggles and cuddles
And gentle kisses.

Now its time
To sleep,
Pretty please? 


***

After bringing you home

Snuggles and cuddles
And gentle kisses.

No one should ever
Have to bury
Their own child.

8 comments:

  1. Oh man, that second go is heartbreaking. Words fail, don't they? Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, no. No one should have to bury their own child, especially for gun violence which could be reduced greatly if we put our minds to it. The juxtaposition of your two endings is powerfu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in hope that Parkland will be the last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel. What can I say that hasn't already been said? What can I say that will make a difference? When all else fails, there is always a poem that will express the feelings I can't find the right words to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This piece of art has whole new layers of meaning after the shooting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the connections you made. Your poems arent meager! The last one made em gasp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That second one is a punch to the gut. It's been a privilege sharing words with you in Laura's safe space.

    ReplyDelete