Monday, January 8, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? - 1/8/2018




The weekly post where I recap all the KidLit books I’ve been reading. Occasionally, I’ll also review some adult fiction books as well.

Be sure to check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to see what other kidlit readers are reading. Because, you know, we can never have too many books in our TBR pile.
                                         

Happy 2018! I hope that it has started off well for you. If you'd like to see a recap of some of my favorite books from 2017, click here.


Picture Books



 My Grandma Lives in Florida
written by Ed Shankman
illustrated by Dave O'Neill

A cute book that gets a little lost and rambles in the middle. The illustrations are cute. This would be a great gift for a grandma that does actually live in Florida. 


Graphic Novels

 Lumberjanes: Beware the Kitten Holy
written by Noelle Stevenson and Grace Ellis
illustrated and colored by Brooke Allen and Maarta Laiho

This comic series has been on my TBR for awhile, so I was excited to pick up the first volume. The story is fun and the illustrations are great. I like how it is slightly irreverent. My seven year old daughter read it and loved it. I liked it enough to grab volumes 2-3 from the library, but I haven't had a chance to read them yet (but my daughter has already devoured them). I like that all the main characters are female. 


Non-KidLit

Meddling Kids
by Edgar Cantero

Oh my goodness, this book was wonderful. It's Scooby Doo meets 2AM Syfy B-movie with some Cthulhu sprinkled on top. Meddling Kids is both creepy and funny. I absolutely love the cover of the book as well. The colors are so much fun and really set the right mood for the book.



reminder of my ratings (which are so subjective anyway and should be taken with a grain of salt):
1 star: extremely disliked and will actively warn others (VERY RARE)
2 stars: disliked
3 stars: liked and will recommend to the right person
4 stars: really liked and will recommend 
5 stars: loved and will recommend to anyone who will listen (VERY RARE)

3 comments:

  1. I still need to read the Limberjane series too. I started on the text version but decided I had to read these first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lumberjane series looks fun! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh. I loved Lumberjanes - looks like there are more titles in the series that I have yet to get to. Hopefully, this year!

    ReplyDelete