Friday, January 12, 2018

Poetry Friday - Iguanas and Unicorns


It’s Friday! And you know what that means: Poetry! Want to know more about Poetry Friday? Click this link right here. And be sure to check out Bookseedstudio to see this week’s round up of wonderful poetry related posts, blogs and goodness. 
________________________________________

Hello and Happy Friday! Today I am excited because I am heading down to Miami for a regional SCBWI writing conference this weekend. All. by. myself. This will be the first solo 'away' trip I have taken since having my daughter nearly 8 years ago. It will also be the longest I've been away from my 1-year-old son. I keep flipping back and forth between complete giddiness and a little guilt, but that's normal, right? 

Florida had a cold snap last week and it got so cold that frozen iguanas were falling out of the trees. Then, as the sun warmed them up, they'd scamper back up the trees again. We've got another cold front moving through this weekend. Here are two haikus dedicated to the poor cold-blooded iguanas.

Florida winter
Chilly green iguanas fall
On my patio

Florida sunshine
Chilly green iguanas thaw
Buttonwood awaits

Also, this past Tuesday was the first Animaloon Collective of the year. Mostly, it is an illustration prompt where people draw the given animal prompt as a balloon or some sort. The prompt for January was unicorns. Here's what I came up with:


My daughter and I
Sat quietly on our porch,
Listening to the pat-a-pat
Of rain on the roof.
Where do rainbows come from?
She asked.
I replied:
From Unicorn butts.
© 2018 Rebecca Herog
  

2 comments:

  1. Yup. Unicorn butts. There's plenty of time for the science later!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, thanks for the laugh... Unicorn butts indeed. Enjoy the conference! Now that my girl is older (and leaves me behind) I am definitely on the giddy side at the thought of a weekend alone, but I remember the guilt that used to come along, too. Yep, perfectly normal.

    ReplyDelete