Friday, January 5, 2018

Poetry Friday - New Year Inspiration


It’s Friday! And you know what that means: Poetry! Want to know more about Poetry Friday? Click this link right here. And be sure to check out  Reading to the Core to see this week’s round up of wonderful poetry related posts, blogs and goodness. 
________________________________________

Happy New Year poetry friends! Can you believe that it is 2018? I always get excited for the new year and all the potential it holds. Will there be bad times? Absolutely--there always will be. But hopefully there will be some wonderful and amazing times sprinkled in as well.

I am one of those people who always sets New Year Resolutions. But I try to make them attainable and realistic. For example, if I set a goal to exercise 365 days in 2018 and then I miss a day, then there is no way for me to attain that goal. I try to avoid those types of absolutes. 

So as it is Poetry Friday, I thought I'd share a few of my:

2018 Poetry Goals

  • write 100 poems
  • use more prompts for inspirationn
  • not miss a single Poetry Friday post
  • complete another Inktober in October
Easy-peasy, right?

So, I have found that I do much better when I pull inspiration ahead of time for a poem. When I sit down cold and just try to randomly come up with a prompt for a poem, I fail miserably. I think that is why I was successful in finishing my 31 poems in 31 days back in October--I made up a word prompt list for the entire month.  Many of the poems went in very different directions than when I originally thought of the word, so the prompt is just a launching point. 

In addition to everyday life, here are a few of the places I plan on pulling inspiration:

My husband participates in various illustration prompts on twitter, and a few of them I plan on adapting for poetry.

@pinchpunchpost gives a monthly creature prompt
@animaloonies gives a monthly inflated animal prompt (they're quite amusing)
@AnimalAlphabets gives a weekly prompt that rotates through the alphabet

Last year, I discovered Laura Purdie Salas' "15 words or less" Thursday prompts on her blog. I love the simplicity of it and I really enjoy just spending a few minutes warming up the poetry muscles. I definitely plan on participating more this year. 

Speaking of New Year's goals, here is my contribution to Laura's prompt this week.


Parasite Depression

January is always gloomy
For a parasitic roomie

New healthy declarations
Make for tenuous relations
© Rebecca Herzog 2018



8 comments:

  1. Your goals are admirable. I agree, avoiding absolutes does make our goals more attainable. One of the things I love most about the Poetry Friday community is that I'm constantly finding inspiration in other people's posts, just as you did with Laura's photo. Your terrific poem made me laugh out loud! Happy New Year, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the giggle your poem gave me. I agree with you on setting realistic goals. Good luck with yours. I've narrowed mine down to just one word, but of course I have lots of things I want to get done as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your goals! Attainable is where it's at, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some goals! :-) I agree that it's tough to write a poem cold. Thank goodness for the toasty warm writing notebook filled with simmering ideas. I'm taking Laura Shovan's Daily Poem Project challenge this year in February, so here goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! Many congratulations and hugs of support as you enter 2018. I know that not missing poetry friday for a year boosted my ability to produce work that I am happy with by leaps and bounds. I look forward to growing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a line-up of poetry fun for 2018 you have Rebecca. Can you add offerings for my galleries to your list? I think your 15 word poem is quite funny. Enjoy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these goals! I'm aiming for a poem a day (or at least writing of some kind) and the poem may be very short. If I do miss a day, I will be easy on myself, though, and just see how long I can keep the streak going next time. Here's to many writing adventures in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the best with your goals Rebecca, the 100 poems sounds very doable. And thanks for your funny poem. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete