Monday, September 11, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading - 9/11/17




The weekly post where I recap all the KidLit books I’ve been reading. Occasionally, I’ll also review some adult fiction books as well.

Be sure to check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to see what other kidlit readers are reading. Because, you know, we can never have too many books in our TBR pile.
                                         

I’m giving away a copy of Castle Hangnail by Ursula Vernon! Check it out and enter.


It’s a short list this week as most of my time was spent prepping for Hurricane Irma. We survived just fine with no damage, but we’re without Internet as I type this up. We’re going to drive around and assess damage here in a little while, so maybe I’ll find a hot spot to upload the post. We are safe, which is the most important thing.

Picture Books



Slug Needs A Hug
written by Jeanne Willis
illustrated by Tony Ross

This was a cute story that my daughter and I both enjoyed. She especially liked the reveal at the end. It is a good story about just being yourself.


Mary McScary
written by R.L. Stine
illustrated by Marc Brown

his was ok. I am a huge fan of R.L. Stine, but I preferred his 1st collaboration with Marc Brown better (The Little Shop of Monsters). I liked the ridiculous ways that Mary tries to scare her cousin and Marc Brown’s illustrations are great, as always. 


 Magic for Sale
written by Carrie Clickard
illustrated by John Shelley

I loved this book. The rhyming verse is well done and the illustrations are fantastic. It was so much fun to spend time on each page looking at all the detailed items of the shop. Well worth the read.


 Dragons Love Tacos 2: The Sequel
written by Adam Rubin
illustrated by Salmeiri

This was enjoyable, but not as good as the first book. The ending gave me a chuckle. The illustrations are consistently good. 


6 comments:

  1. Each one is an unusual story, and I'll especially look for "Slug Needs A Hug." It looks so cute! Considering most of us say "ew" when a slug appears, this might be very needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to read Dragon Loves Taco 2! I read the 1st book this summer to my summer school students and they loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some interesting picture books on your list today. I'm now curious to read Magic for Sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check it out, I hope yo enjoy it. The illustrations are wonderfully detailed.

      Delete