Friday, September 29, 2017

Poetry Friday - Crazy Kids


It’s Friday! And you know what that means: Poetry! Want to know more about Poetry Friday? Click this link right here. And be sure to Laura's page, Writing the World for Kids, to see this week’s round up of wonderful poetry related posts, blogs and goodness. 
________________________________________

It is a good thing that October is in sight because I feel like a zombie. it's 8:45pm and I'm falling asleep writing this post! So it's going to be a short one this week.

I have been prepping for my newest challenge: Inktober. I am no artist, but I like to doodle. So, I've decided to write a short poem each day in October and then draw something to go along with it. I'll be posting a bit more in detail tomorrow, but I am excited to have some fun with it.

Speaking of zombies, I stumbled across an interesting poetry book: Zombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum. The whole book is written in haiku snippets and takes the reader on the journey of a guy who has been bitten and is turning into a zombie. I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, but it seems like it’s right up my alley. Here is one of haiku’s from the book:

Biting into heads 
is much harder than it looks. 
The skull is feisty.

© Ryan Mecum, 2008

I decided to write my own haiku of what has turned me into a zombie this week. 

Sweet angelic babe
Banshee-wails throughout the night
Parents never sleep

© Rebecca Herzog, 2017

My daughter read it over my shoulder as I was writing and insisted that I also write one about her and her love for video games (she wants to be a game designer and voice actor when she grows up). So I obliged.

There once was a girl who liked games
Who quickly won all the acclaim
With daring and poise
She beat all the boys
And now she has fortune and fame 

© Rebecca Herzog, 2017


I hope that everyone's week has gone well and that you have a spectacular beginning of October. It's my favorite.


11 comments:

  1. This reminds me when my middle child was constantly singing "All I want to do is eat your brain, I'm not unreasonable." I thought he'd never stop. Now he has, and I can't remember the next line for the life of me. He must have sang it hundreds of times before he finally stopped. I bow before the mighty power of my brain to push right out things I don't like to think about. They are just GONE! LOL (Or I'm going senile. Also possible.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That zombie book sounds fun! And best wishes to your daughter on her future plans...trust me, being a voice actor - just like biting into heads - is a lot harder than it seems! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zombies, oh my! They aren't my favorite topic, but I just might enjoy that bit of haiku. I enjoyed both of your poems about your kids. Hang in there, and sleep will come again...until they keep you up until they come home at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to read about a zombie haiku book, and then from them to your own zombie week to video games. Best wishes for "inktober" and getting a bit more sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not really into zombies - so that haiku doesn't get a nibble from me. ;) But I did love your two poems for your kiddos. They're keepers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww. I read that zombie book--love the concept!--a few years ago, but it didn't quite work for me somehow. I adore your poem about what has turned you into a zombie. Everyone says these days fly, but when you're in them--not so much! Great poem for your daughter, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is hilarious! My teens would love this book - zombies are still so insanely popular, I think largely because we all feel like zombies some of the time, especially when the weather gets all gloomy. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inktober sounds like a great plan. Nudging yourself with a daily challenge will keep your poetry and drawing skills sharp. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of Inktober, Rebecca, and found your poems about your children an early October treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun haikus and limerick Rebecca! Hope you enjoy your venture with Inktober too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are quite the on-demand poet!

    ReplyDelete