Monday, September 18, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 9/18/17




The weekly post where I recap all the KidLit books I’ve been reading. Occasionally, I’ll also review some adult fiction books as well.

Be sure to check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to see what other kidlit readers are reading. Because, you know, we can never have too many books in our TBR pile.
                                         

Board Books

 Dinosaur Dance
by Sandra Boynton

I enjoy Sandra Boynton's books. The illustrations in this one are cute and my 7yo daughter loved reading this one to her baby brother. 


 Diggers Go
by Steve Light

I love the layout of this book. Long and narrow, the illustrations are really fun and it gives you a bit of scope on how big the machines are. It make for a fun, interactive read.


Picture Books


 I Am Bat
by Morag Hood 

I really enjoyed this cute book. Readers of Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus will like I Am Bat. The character is really comical and fun. The book invites plenty of reader interaction. The illustrations are funny too and I especially like the bat’s cute round tummy. 


 The Bad Seed
written by Jory John
illustrated by Pete Oswald

Oh my gosh, this book was so much fun. Everyone in the house now wants me to buy it. My husband read it to the kids multiple times before it had to go back to the library. The story is clever and original and the illustrations are great too.


 Bonaparte Falls Apart
written by Margery Cuyler
illustrated by Will Terry

This is a book that I couldn't wait for it to come out. I love Will Terry's illustration style. The story is also great. It could easily be used as a text on therapy/service dogs and why some people need them. All around great read.


 The Tooth That's on the Loose
by Chris Robertson
I received an ARC of this book for review.

The premise for this book is great, I just wish it would have taken it a bit further. The cowboy narrator talks about how T.B. Wiggly can be found in your mouth hiding out--so quite literally. I wish that it would have been a straight western and the child reading the book could make the parallels between the story and real life. The illustrations are fun and overall I would recommend the book.


 Use Your Imagination (But Be Careful What You Wish For)
by Nicola O'Byrne 

Overall, I enjoyed this book. The illustrations are fun, and I liked the twist ending. I thought it was a good take on the big bad wolf idea. And I liked the nod to Red Riding Hood without that character actually being in the story.


Now
by Antoinette Portis

I have been trying to get a hold of a copy of this book for awhile, and it did not disappoint. I love the simplicity of it. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is beautiful. After reading, my daughter and I talked about enjoying the small quiet moments and how they are important. It also led us to talk about being grateful for everything--not just the large things in life.


 Dinosaur Pirates!
by Penny Dale

Pirates and dinosaurs. What's not to like. The illustrations were detailed, especially on the ships. I loved the repetition in the verses. I also liked that it was 100% dinosaurs--no humans or other creatures. Sometimes it seems that it's always dinos vs. something else, so that was a nice change. 

6 comments:

  1. "Stomp your feet, clap your hands, everybody ready for a Barnyard Dance!" My daughter turns 23 very soon, but I can still recite most of the Boynton books we read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found I Am Bat to be very cute. I am glad you liked it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read either of those board books, and I know Trent would love them both!
    Now was such a wonderful book--I loved its message! :)

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some gorgeous books on your list today. There has been a lot of buzz about The Bad Seed and I'm looking forward to it. I have a hold on Now. I've bookmarked Dinosaur Dance and Diggers Go to read with my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading The Bad Seed this week to 3rd graders! We're comparing it to Arnie the Doughnut. Should be fun!
    Loved "Now" too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonaparte Falls Apart sounds fun. I really want to get The Bad Seed. I have an order to put in tomorrow and I might have to add that. :) I adored Now. There are so many great looking titles here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete