Friday, September 1, 2017

Poetry Friday - World Art Drop Day


It’s Friday! And you know what that means: Poetry! Want to know more about Poetry Friday? Click this link right here. And be sure to check out Kathryn Apel's blog to see this week’s round up of wonderful poetry related posts, blogs and goodness. 
________________________________________

Happy Poetry Friday everyone! World Art Drop Day is this coming Tuesday, September 5th, and I am so excited. I by no means consider myself an artist, but I do enjoy creating art. Here is the basic premise of Art Drop Day from Jake Parker's page (linked above):

  • Draw a picture and hide it somewhere.
  • Take a photo of either the art or the hiding spot or a combination of both.
  • Post the image, the city you dropped it in, and a hint on any social media of your choice. Be sure to included the hashtag: #artdropday
  • Then move on, hoping someone finds it. OR hang around and meet your new friend.

I thought it would be fun to pull out my gel plate and do some monoprinting. My plan is to do make a print, put my poem from this week on it, and then use it as my art drop on Tuesday. 



Here in Florida, we are in the middle of turtle nesting season. Growing up, I lived about a mile from the beach. I remember one time, when I was about 10, my dad woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me he had to run down to the beachside convenience store where my mom worked. Apparently, the lights from the parking lot attracted a bunch of baby turtles after they hatched. So my dad went to the rescue. Looking back, I don't know why he didn't take me with him. It must have been a school night. 

As I was writing this week's poem, I was also thinking about how some cultures and religions believe a giant turtle created and is supporting the world. And that our world is constantly evolving and changing. 

Great green life bringers
Create fragile silver worlds
And leave them in sand
For Time to nurse and protect
Until their children emerge

I will be sure to post the final art project next Tuesday. I've never participated in Art Drop Day, so it should be pretty fun! 

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I can relate to this. We're just going into turtle nesting season, here. I haven't yet been to see them hatching, but I have seen them laying eggs a couple of times. Such ponderous creatures, up on the sand.

    Enjoy your Art Drop - and the creativity of preparation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I hope to see them. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. What an ethereal tone to this poem. Lovely. And, I love your memory of Dad running to the beach. I'm from an area where we heard the Iroquois creation story about Sky Woman falling onto the back of a turtle. I kept the paperback book that held that story for years and years. I think I was already in love with story as a kid and that story of turtle has always been one of my favs. Great post this week. I will have to create some art for tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find creation stories so fascinating! They really are amazing.

      Delete
  3. I love the "fragile silver worlds" Rebecca, and what fun to hear about art drop day! Someone will find a treasure when they find yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post awakened two turtle memories -- the first, a box turtle we attempted to keep as a pet when I was a kid. I can't remember what happened to it, so I'll make up a happy escape ending. The second, another box turtle walked up our driveway (in tiny town Eastern Colorado) one summer day. I helped it along its journey by moving it to the back in mom's garden. What a mystery! Where did it come from? Where did it go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think turtles are amazing creatures. When we lived in Utah, they had a program where you could adopt a desert tortoise because they couldn't release them back in the wild for fear of disease hurting the already dwindling population. Alas, we didn't have the space to keep one.

      Delete
  5. Cool turtles! On our trip to the beach a few years ago, we were lucky enough to watch the excavation of a nest of turtles that had recently hatched. They were looking for turtles who had been left behind to help them get to the sea. They found one and we cheered as it swam away. Good luck with the art drop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so cute! One day I want to see them emerging from the sand and scampering (can turtles scamper?) back to the water.

      Delete
  6. I was wondering why your name sounded so familiar to me, Rebecca, I'm guessing it might be because of FL SCBWI (I'm in Gainesville.) Your poem is magical. I wish there was turtle-hatching here, but just Friday night Gator-crawling on University Avenue. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was wondering the same thing! :) Do you ever go to FL conferences?

      Delete
    2. I've gone to the June workshop twice, but the Jan conference is always at a terrible time for me. It would be nice to meet you in person, though. Stay safe during Irma!

      Delete
  7. Your poem reminds me of one I wrote last year. Maybe you might like it, given you like the world turtle idea. https://friendlyfairytales.com/2016/02/26/a-grain-of-sand/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your poem! I loved it and it accompanies the art on that post swimmingly. :)

      Delete